Phillips Exeter Academy, located in Exeter, NH, is a highly selective coeducational independent school for boarding and day students in grades 9 through 12, and post-graduate level as well. Our 671-acre campus is comprised of academic and residential buildings, a library, playing fields and sprawling green lawns; retaining our 18th century New England charm.
Visit our website, www.exeter.edu, to learn more about us and view the full job description.
The Academy offers competitive salaries, and excellent benefits such as free access to our athletic facilities and free meals. In addition, discounts in and around Exeter, Exeter Inn and Epoch Restaurant, Homes for Heroes, and McFarland Ford to name a few.
The Violin Instructor will teach weekly private lessons for high school violinists from beginner to advanced level.
• Create a weekly schedule for private lessons and communicate with students regarding schedule changes. Maintain accurate rosters, monitor student attendance, enter grades and comments in a timely manner according to the Academic Advising Calendar.
• Understand the Academy’s calendar and daily schedule and effectively use Academy systems for communication and course management.
• Work with students to set goals for private lessons, select appropriate repertoire, help students procure music, instruct students in technique, musicianship, and practice strategies; assess and support musical development, provide appropriate performance opportunities.
• Communicate student issues or concerns with Department Chair and/or Student’s Advisor or student’s parents when necessary.
• Prepare students for recitals, masterclasses, competitions, college admission recordings, and other needs.
• Coach chamber music and orchestral sectionals as interested/available.
• Advise senior projects or student clubs if requested by students as interested/available.
• Collaborate with colleagues on faculty performances as interested/available.
• Maintain collegial relationships with members of the department.
• Participate in occasional department meetings, PEA faculty meetings, and other forms of shared governance.
• Additional duties may include participating in planning and developing the department’s concert series, coaching instrumental and vocal chamber music, and playing for the school’s annual musical production.
Education and Experience:
• B.A. or B.M. required.
• Master’s degree in Violin or equivalent experience preferred.
• 3+ years’ successful private studio teaching experience.
• 3+ years’ professional performing experience.
• Experience working with adolescents in an educational setting preferred.